Hello, I am Spoorthy Raman, an independent science journalist, writer and editor based in Toronto, Canada. I write about everything science—from neurons to neutrinos. I am the recipient of the AAAS EurekAlert! Fellowships for International Science Reporters 2019, and the Asian Scientist Writing Prize, 2017 in the 'Merit Prize' category. I am also a member of the National Association of Science Writers (NASW) and the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ).
- Articles and Features: I have over five years of experience as a science writer. My words have appeared in Scientific American, The Open Notebook, Science, Deccan Herald, Research Matters, The Print, AGU Blogosphere, and others.
- Editing: I have extensive experience in editing, fact-checking and copyediting science news articles.
- Books: I am also the author of India's Adventure in Space, an illustrated children's book published by Juggernaut Publications.
- Columns: I write Tailspin, a monthly column for Sunday Herald about life with pets, sprinkled with the latest science.
- Teaching: I am passionate about sharing the pleasure of science writing. Since 2020, I am the instructor for IISER Mohali's course on Science Communication. I am also a mentor and instructor for SciRio's Scicomm Lite workshops. I have delivered many talks on science writing, science communication and multilingualism in scicomm. I have also mentored many science writers.
- Writing in Kannada: I am a native Kannada speaker, a language that is spoken in the Karnataka state of South India. My love for the language has inspired me to write and translate science stories in Kannada, which I find rewarding.
My portfolio contains all my writings till date. The panel on the left helps you with navigation. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them.